Today, we are going to discuss about an easy & wireless way to share files among smartphones, tablets and personal computers running different operating systems, through an app brought to you by Lenovo known as SHAREit.
What is SHAREit?
SHAREit is the fastest file transferring cross-platform application from Lenovo Pvt. Ltd. that allows you to share photos, music, videos, apps (only in Android) or virtually any file regardless of size and type without the use of internet or wires. Lenovo’s SHAREit wirelessly transfers files & data rapidly between devices – either with friends, or to take your personal content on the go.
- It is about 40x faster than Bluetooth.
- Eliminates the use of Cables, or BlueTooth.
- There are virtually no limits on the size or type of the file to be shared.
- Can share any kind of file, from pictures to apps in any format.
- Did I mentioned it is free.
- It is cross-platform & lets you share files between iOS, Android, or Windows Devices, which are the most commonly used operating systems out there.
How does it works?
SHAREit uses the WiFi Direct sharing technology, whereas other apps (mostly) use BlueTooth or conventional Wifi network (or sometimes Internet) which is present nearby.
Whats is WiFi Direct?
Remember the way you shared your internet data through a personal hotspot, in which your device created a WiFi hotspot and let you share your cellular data (2G, 3G or 4G internet) in the form of WiFi to nearby devices.
Now, WiFi Direct is a technology which allows your device to create such a WiFi hotspot but without the use of internet, intended with a purpose of sharing files over the network. Thus, you can easily connect with each other without requiring any cables, or internet; and share files with typical WiFi speeds.
My device doesn’t supports WiFi Direct. But still transfers are Fast. How?
It lets you share files with typical WiFi speeds which can be 20MB/s or even higher in some cases.
For devices, without WiFi Direct, it simply Turns on the Personal Hotspot, and does its magic in sharing files hyperfast.
This app requires only about 12.1MB (on average) for storage purpose. It is currently available for Android smartphones, iOS Devices, Windows Phone,and blackberry phones. It also supports Windows Desktop currently and is planning to extend its functioning to the Mac OS.
Supported devices with download link
- Android Compatibility
It will work with Android 2.2 (Froyo) and above.
It needs around 6.5MB of storage space.
Download from this Play Store link.
- iOS Compatibility
It will work with iOS 6 or more.
It needs around 29.6MB of space.
Download from this link of App Store for iPhones and iPads.
- Windows Compatibility
How to use?
- Download and install SHAREit on your devices from links given above.
- Once installed, give a specific name to your device.
- You will get the option to either send or receive.
- Tap on Send on the device from which you want to share photos, videos, music, contacts, or even apps (only for Android users).
- Select all the files that you want to share and tap the OK button.
- Tap on Receive on the second device.
- For Android: You will see the second device on first device’s screen Select that.
For Others: You’ll get on-screen instructions, commonly to connect both devices to the same network.
- Data transfer will start.