Today, we will discuss how to upgrade your current Android version to Android Lollipop in Micromax Canvas 2 Colours.
Why Android Lollipop?
The reason I like Android Operating System are the increasing customizability options in the Android updates. It is also the reason I and many other users have to find some ways to get Android update when our device’s vendors are not in likely mood to do so.
Today, I am focussing light on a way to get Android 5.1.1 Lollipop in a Micromax Canvas 2 Colours. I’m showcasing this article on the request a lot of my readers who own Micromax C2C. Frankly speaking, the list of people who wanted to get Android 5.1.1 on their C2Cs included me too.
How to Update Micromax C2C to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop via CyanogenMod 12.1 Custom Firmware
About Custom ROM (CM 12.1)
First of all, I would like to specify that Custom ROM and Custom firmware are one of the same thing. Also I may refer Micromax Canvas 2 Colours as C2C.
Android 5.1.1 Lollipop is now available to install on Micromax C2C via the CyanogenMod 12.1, Custom ROM. This CyanogenMod 12.1 custom firmware is an unofficial release which is based on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop and comes with various new and different features and customization tools that resemble Android Open Source Project (AOSP) ROM. But as this update/firmware has been developed by third-party developers, and not officially released by Micromax, it is still in beta and there may be quite some bugs, and it is possible that maybe a feature or 2 will not work completely.
About the Developer
The developer behind this project goes by the name moonrotation and belongs to Spain. So far they have been able to get the video, audio, WiFi, and SIM slots, camera and many other things working perfectly fine. Sadly, the USSD for some networks, GPS is not working; which means some users (not all) will go through a problem with calling or using any location-based service. As the developer has been working on the build and is fixing bugs every now and then, I wouldn’t be surprised if those broken/buggy issues have been fixed by the time you are reading this.
How to Flash the ROM
Material Required –
- A working PC.
- SmartPhone Flash Tools (SP Flash Tools).
SP Flash Tools is created by MediaTek Inc. and is a trusted software.
The following link will download the latest version of SP Flash Tools as on date 21 May 2015.
- Android USB Drivers
These are needed to operate the Android device via your PC.
The following link will help you download the latest version of ADB Drivers as on date 21 May 2015.
- A ROM.
A ROM will be required to flash and bring back to device to life. But remember flashing a Stock ROM (that originally came with the phone) will also help in getting your phone’s guarantee back; whereas flashing a Custom ROM (any other ROM) has a lesser chance of getting your phone un-bricked and has nothing to do with its guarantee.
You’ll need to Flash Wiko Rainbow SP Flashable ROM, download it from this link.
Follow these steps to install the ROM –
- Charge your smart phone to approximately 50 percent or above battery level.
- Switch it off and remove its battery, if possible.
- Install SP Flash Tools and Android USB Drivers. Download them from above download links.
- Extract the Flash Wiko Rainbow SP Flashable ROM from .zip file. Place the extracted folder to the desktop for ease of access. Download link is given above.
- Open the Device manager in PC. Go to Start > Run > devmgmt.msc.
- Connect your phone to PC through data cable.
- In the device manager, a yellow line would have appeared after the phone got connected. MT65xx preloader.
- Right click on it and click Update. Browse to Desktop and click Next. A red box will appear, press Continue Installation.
- Open SP Flash tool folder and click on Flash_Tool.exe.
- Browse to the scatter File MT65xx_Android_scatter_emmc_PMT.txt in the folder of that ROM, which was earlier placed on Desktop.
- Make sure all the boxes are checked. Then press the Download button.
- Then re – connect your mobile phone. You will notice some progress on the CPU screen in the form of blue and red colour.
- After a while, you’ll get a Green circle.
- Disconnect your phone. Plug in the battery and switch it on.
Now follow these steps –
- Download CyanogenMod 12.1 from the given download link.
- Place that downloaded zip in your SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Press Power button + Volume up button + Volume Down button simultaneously to enter recovery mode.
- Wait for the buzz (vibration) and release those buttons.
- Then press Volume Up button, you will see an interface after that click on “install zip”.
- Then select “choose zip from SD card ” if your downloaded zip is in internal SD or “choose zip from SD card if your downloaded zip is in external SD.
- Browse to your cyanogenmod-unofficial***.zip click on it then click Yes.
- You’ll see “installing update”, wait till it completes.
- After installation, reboot device, it may take up to 10 minutes to boot. There’s nothing to panic.
- It will boot up with CyanogenMod 12.1, which is based on Lollipop 5.1.1.